- Church Lane, Gilmorton, Leicestershire, LE17 5LU
Can’t find what your looking for ?
Translate / Traduire / Übersetzen / Tłumaczyć / Išversti / Tulkot / Traducir
Gilmorton Chandler Church of England Primary School
We Strive for excellence in everything we do, working under god’s guidance and endeavouring to enable all to flourish, Bear fruit and live well together.
What History lessons looks like in our school;
● Teachers give children the opportunity to review previous learning, provide models for the kinds of responses pupils are required to produce, provide adequate time for practise to embed skills securely and scaffold new learning.
● New units of study begin with finding out children’s existing knowledge, and what they would like to learn, this may shape the direction that the topic goes in, in order to sufficiently engage and challenge all pupils.
● Opportunities to look at artefacts, maps, and a wide variety of evidence so that children are able to reason the weight of the evidence and discuss multiple viewpoints.
● Wherever possible Historical field trips are arranged so that children can experience different places, ages, ways of life.
● Children are encouraged to both answer and ask questions.
This is what we do:
● Begin with the children’s previous knowledge and a sharing of the key questions and the final assessment question.
● Provide the children with valuable field trips with valuable experiences.
● Study a variety of resources including books, the internet and artefacts to give our children a hands on approach to learning.
● Positive use of mistakes/misconceptions- learning environment.
● Subject Lead conducts regular book scrutinies, learning walks, planning audits, and gathers pupil perceptions.
● Set homework which encourages children to expand their knowledge through a project based approach, which enables all children to succeed.
● Learn as a whole school about events which commemorate historical events such as, Remembrance Day, Black History Month.
● Seek whole school CPDL to ensure our practice is driven by recent research.